Alabama’s 18th annual sales tax holiday for school-related items begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday, July 21, 2023, and ends at midnight Sunday, July 23, 2023, giving shoppers the opportunity to purchase certain school supplies, computers, books and clothing free of the state’s four percent sales or use tax. Cities and counties were to notify the state that they would participate in the 2023 holiday by June 21.
Each year, the Alabama Retail Association compiles a toolkit for retailers with all the information you will need to prepare for and promote the sales tax holiday in your store. Download the Alabama Sales Tax Holiday Retailer’s Toolkit by entering your information below:
SALES TAX HOLIDAY LINKS
- Quick Reference for Tax-Free and Taxed Items during the July Sales Tax Holiday
A handy reference to print out and place beside cash registers, post in stores, compare to your shopping list or use as a reference while shopping.
- 2023 Participating Cities & Counties
- Promotional Poster for Retailers
- A Retailer Sales Tax Holiday By-The-Numbers Primer
- A Consumer Sales Tax Holiday By-The-Numbers Infographic
- Revenue Department Presentation on the Sales Tax Holiday
The Alabama Department of Revenue, the Alabama League of Municipalities, the Alabama Retail Association and the Chamber of Commerce Association of Alabama put together this presentation to explain the law to businesses and answer any questions regarding how the sales tax holiday works.
- 2023 News Release
- Sales Tax Holiday Rule 810-6-3-.65
- Law Moving Tax Holiday to July Act No. 2017-120
- Original Sales Tax Holiday Act No. 2006-574