Alabama’s 11th annual sales tax holiday for school-related items begins at 12:01 a.m. Friday, Aug. 5, 2016, and ends at midnight Sunday Aug. 7, 2016, giving shoppers the opportunity to purchase certain school supplies, computers, books and clothing free of the state’s four percent sales or use tax. As of July 19, 293 local governments had notified the state that they will participate in the 2016 holiday. That number could grow as the Alabama Department of Revenue receives notifications and updates it website.
The Alabama Retail Association has compiled a toolkit for retailers with all the information you will need to prepare for and promote the sales tax holiday in your store. Download the Alabama Sales Tax Holiday Retailer’s Toolkit by entering your information below:
SALES TAX HOLIDAY LINKS
- Quick Reference for Tax Free and Taxed Items during the August Sales Tax Holiday
A handy reference to print out and place beside cash registers, post in stores, compare to your shopping list or use as a reference while shopping.
- 2016 Participating Cities & Counties
- A Retailer Sales Tax Holiday By-The-Numbers Primer
- A Consumer Sales Tax Holiday By-The-Numbers Infographic
- Promotional Poster for Retailers
- Revenue Department Presentation on Sales Tax Holiday
The Alabama Department of Revenue and Alabama Retail Association in cooperation with the Chamber of Commerce Association of Alabama put together this presentation to explain the law to businesses and answer any questions regarding how the sales tax holiday works.
- Sales Tax Holiday Rule 810-6-3-.65
- Sales Tax Holiday Act No. 2006-574