Alabama Counts on Retailing …
Because Retail Works for Alabama!
- Retailers employ 1 in 4 of all employees in the private sector in Alabama
- Alabama retailers employ more than 400,000 of our great state’s citizens, making retail Alabama’s largest employer
- Alabama retailers’ annual payroll exceeds $8.9 billion
- Alabama has more than 57,000 retail establishments, which means our state has more than one retail business for every square mile of the state
- Our state’s retail sales account for 1.5 percent of all retail sales nationally, which means an estimated $90 billion in retail sales for our state in 2018
- Retailers each year collect almost $2.5 billion in sales taxes on behalf of Alabama’s state government
- Retail trade plus food and drinking establishments account for more than $19 billion, or 9 percent of the state’s gross domestic product, placing retail in the state’s top five highest-producing industries
SOURCES: Alabama Labor Market News, Alabama Department of Revenue, U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, The Economic Impact of the U.S. Retail Industry, October 2014.