Alabama Counts on Retailing …
Because Retail Works for Alabama!
- Retailers employ 1 in 4 of all employees in the private sector in Alabama
- Alabama retailers employ more than 400,000 of our great state’s citizens, making retail Alabama’s largest employer
- Alabama retailers’ annual payroll is nearing $11 billion (includes retail, food and drinking establishments)
- Retailers each year collect more than $3.8 billion in sales taxes on behalf of Alabama’s state government
- Retail trade plus food and drinking establishments account for more than $28 billion, or almost 10% percent of the state’s gross domestic product, placing retail in the state’s top six highest-producing industries
SOURCES: Alabama Labor Market News, Alabama Department of Revenue, U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis
To learn more about how Alabama retail means jobs, click here.