MONTGOMERY/BIRMINGHAM – The Alabama Retail Association will honor 15 retail businesses with stores in 78 Alabama cities as Retailers of the Year and Centennial Retailers on Tuesday, Oct. 16, in Birmingham during the 2018 Alabama Retail Day luncheon. Carr, Riggs & Ingram CPAs and Advisors, Slappey Communications and the University of Alabama’s Culverhouse College of Business are the luncheon sponsors. Alabama Retail has been presenting the Retailer of the Year Awards since 1999 and the Alabama Centennial Retailer awards since 2002.
Stacy Brown, founder of Auburn-based Chicken Salad Chick, will be the keynote speaker for the luncheon. The stay-at-home-mom, along with her late husband, Kevin, turned a recipe into a restaurant in 2008 and then spread the brand to nine states with more than 90 locations, including 19 in Alabama.
A panel of judges – representing the media, chambers of commerce, retail developers, former Retailers of the Year and the academic community – selected this year’s Retailers of the Year from a large pool of deserving Alabama retailers. Each have demonstrated a blend of sound business practices along with commitment to their communities, customers and employees. From that same pool, the public chose the Customers’ Choice Award through a contest on the Alabama Retail Association’s Facebook page. The level of the individual awards will be announced at the Oct. 16 awards luncheon. Detailed news releases on each winner will be issued on the day of the awards ceremony.
Retailers to be honored at the 2018 Retail Day are:
- Dustin and Shannon Beaty, owners of Lavish Boutique and Coffee Bar in Jasper and Lavish Boutique in Cullman.
- Steven and Jessica Brindley, owners of Brindley’s Family Pharmacy in Albertville and Vital Care of Northwest Alabama in Florence.
- Zebbie Carney, owner of Eugene’s Hot Chicken in Birmingham.
- Ashley Gill, owner/operator of Chick-fil-A Northport.
- Charlene Haber, owner/president of Wolf Bay Restaurant, Bar & Boutique in Foley and Orange Beach.
- Annette Harris, owner and president of Rumors Deli Inc. in Cullman.
- Brian and Jodi Harsany, owner of Cobalt The Restaurant in Orange Beach.
- Theo and Costas “Gus” Katechis, owner and manager respectively of Chris’ Famous Hot Dogs in Montgomery.
- Lisette Normann, founder/owner of The Fairhope Store in Fairhope.
- The team at Renfroe’s Market in Montgomery (2) and Dadeville; Robert Renfroe, owner, and Rob Renfroe, vice president.
- Jeff Rosenthal, president and chief executive officer of Birmingham-based Hibbett Sports with stores in 74 Alabama cities plus 34 other states and online.
- Jay Welborn, partner with B&W Foods Inc., dba Piggly Wiggly, in Northport and three Tuscaloosa locations.
- George R. Wilder, owner and chief executive officer of The Locker Room in Montgomery and Auburn.
In addition, two Centennial Retailers, both founded in 1918, will be honored:
Alabama Retail Comp will honor Thames Batré Insurance in Mobile and Gulf Shores, which was founded in 1891.
Photos of the 2018 Retailers of the Year, Centennial Retailers and Centennial Insurance Agency are available upon request.
The Retail Day luncheon begins at 11:30 a.m. Oct. 16 at 400 Beaumont Drive, Birmingham. Media representatives wishing to attend the luncheon should contact Nancy Dennis by Friday, Sept. 28.
The cost for individual seats at the Retail Day luncheon is $40. To register, go to alabamaretail.org/retaildayregistration/
The Alabama Retail Association represents retailers, the largest private employer in the state of Alabama, before the Alabama Legislature and the U.S. Congress. Through sales of food, clothing, furniture, medicine and more, our 4,200 independent merchant and national company members touch almost every aspect of daily living. Since 1943, we’ve worked to promote what’s best for the retail industry in Alabama. Whether voicing the retail view when public policy is made, educating members about issues that impact them, negotiating rates for benefits and services or communicating the retail story, the Alabama Retail Association and its members are better together.